July Opening Hours
|Monday||1:00 pm - 9:00 pm|
|Tuesday||1:00 pm - 9:00 pm|
|Wednesday||1:00 pm - 9:00 pm|
|Thursday||1:00 pm - 9:00 pm|
|Friday||1:00 pm - 9:00 pm|
|Saturday||11:00 am - 9:00 pm|
|Sunday||11:00 am - 9:00 pm|
Please note that in August the pool will close at 8:30pm.
We are hoping to have a “normal” summer with pool activity and capacity resuming to pre COVID-19 levels. We will, however, be following Public Health guidelines and will plan to put safety procedures in place as needed. The website will be updated closer to the pool opening in early June to reflect the current pool procedures and rules.
We are pleased to welcome Lia Heard as pool manager this summer. Lia brings years of experience as a UB1 staff member to this key leadership role. Please see below for a message from Lia:
Hi everyone! The guard team and I are looking forward to another great pool season ahead! I am excited to be managing the pool this year. Our amazing leadership team this year includes Ben as Assistant Manager and Meredith as Head Guard. The entire guard team is excited to see all the familiar and new smiling faces at the pool this summer! We will see you soon! – Lia
The pool staff will be updating the UB1 website calendar over the next several weeks with summer pool activities. Stay tuned!
- Lia Heard – Manager
- Ben Lemon – Assistant Manager
- Meredith McCorkell- Head Guard
The 2022 summer lesson schedule is as follows:
Session 1 – Monday, July 4th to Friday, July 29th
Session 2 – Tuesday August 2nd to Friday August 26th (No lessons on Civic Holiday August 1st)
July & August free swim hours are as follows:
Sat, Sun: 11am-9pm
Please note that in the last two weeks of August, the pool will close at 8:30pm.
UB1 offers lessons for all ages and swimming abilities including Bronze Medallion and Cross preparation courses.
- All children wearing flotation devices must be within arm’s reach of their adult caregiver.
- All patrons swimming in the pool must have on proper swim attire. All infants/toddlers that require a diaper must wear swimmer diapers and proper swimwear.
- Supervision requirements for children are as follows:
- Children aged 0-5: two children to one guardian (2:1),
- Children aged 6-9 who are non-swimmers: four children to one guardian (4:1), or eight children with life jackets to one guardian (8:1).
- All children must perform a swim test (2 widths of the pool without stopping or touching) before being allowed in the deep end without a parent.
- Children must be born in 2013 or before to come to the pool on their own. Otherwise they must be supervised by a person 12 years or older.
- No one who has been infected with the following may enter the pool: open sores, diarrhea, athlete’s foot, or any contagious disease.
- If the patrolling lifeguard witnesses thunder or lightning, all patrons must remain out of the water for 30 minutes past the last sign of thunder or lightning.
- If a whistle is blown to clear the pool (a long whistle blast), patrons should move quickly and quietly to the grass area.
- If a member wishes to bring guests they are asked to please inform a lifeguard on duty. All children will be asked to do a swim test.
- NO DIVING!
- No standing or sitting on the pool covers.
- No standing or sitting on the flutter boards.
- No shoulder rides.
- NO alcohol is permitted on the pool grounds.
- No chewing gum.
- Nut or nut products are not permitted on the pool grounds, basketball court or tennis courts.
- Please keep food on the grass area and take all garbage home with you.
- Please shower completely before entering the pool to help the guards keep the facilities clean and safe.
- All patrons must adhere to all pool rules, policies, and procedures or risk being asked to leave the premises by a lifeguard on duty.
When a child feels ready to swim in the deep end, he or she must show a lifeguard on duty that he or she is able to swim two widths of the pool without stopping or touching the bottom. It is up to the lifeguard’s discretion whether or not the child is capable of swimming in the deep end safely.
The pool is closed immediately if thunder is heard or lightning is seen and remains closed for 30 minutes after the last rumble or lightning sighting.
The pool will be closed in excessive downpours of rain, or if the temperature is less than 17 degrees Celsius. This will be re-evaluated in four-hour increments (8am-12, 12-4pm, 4-8pm).
These temperature conditions will be following the University of Waterloo weather station.
Members may check these conditions on the UW website themselves, check the UB1 website, Facebook page, or call the pool to find out if the pool is open.